One of the most reliable accounting tools, Quickbooks has been helping businesses worldwide. However, this tool is prone to certain errors. One of such error is Quickbooks error -6189.
Most commonly called the “runtime error”, Quickbooks error -6189 usually occurs while the company file opens or runs. At the time of this error, the user will come across a message on their computer screen stating: “An error occurs when Quickbooks tried to access the company file (-6189)”
Causes Leading to Quickbooks Error -6189 Code
Here we have enumerated all the probable reasons that may lead to the Quickbooks error 6189. Have a quick look.
- While trying to access a Quickbooks file that is already in use by another user or service.
- An incomplete installation of the Quickbooks tool or download of a corrupted QB software link.
- While trying to access a file stored in a folder for which you have no permission.
- Incorrect entries in the Windows registry due to incorrect or incomplete Quickbooks installation.
- Corruption of Quickbooks program files in the system due to malware or virus attack in the Windows framework.
- If the Windows Registry gets corrupted due to change in the recent Quickbooks programming.
- Due difference between Exchange log record (.TLG) and organization document (.QBW)
- If other clients sign into the organization record using the “Single user mode”>
- Due to the use of the old or pirated copies of Windows.
- Due to accidental deleting of important documents from the system which are primarily responsible for running Quickbooks successfully.
Symptoms of Quickbooks error 6189
It’s important to know the symptoms of Quickbooks error 6189. Knowing the symptoms will help the user to rectify the source of the error in a more organized and effective manner. Let us look at these symptoms:
- Users may face a complete loss of connection with Quickbooks company file.
- The user is unable to open or access the Quickbooks company file.
- The system may freeze which will then lead it to become unresponsive.
- The machine becomes unable to take or read comments to open/access the necessary programs.
Solution for Quickbooks Desktop error -6189
Run/ install the Quickbooks Database manager:
The Quickbooks Database manager helps to keep the users’ multi user network stable. That’s how you can run the Quickbooks Database manager:
- Select “Network Issues” from the tools hub.
- Now select “Quickbase Database server manager”. Here install the Database server manager by following the on-screen instructions.
- Once you see your company files, click on “Select Scan” inside the Quickbooks Database server manager. If you do not see your company file, browse to the location of your company file and then select “Start Scan”.
- Click “Close” once the scanning finishes.
- You can now open the Quickbooks desktop on your server computer and workstations.
Use Quickbooks File doctor tool:
The File Doctor tool will itself detect problems in your Quickbooks company file and will try to resolve it on its own. Download the Quickbooks File Doctor tool from Intuit’s website. Once it is downloaded install and run this tool on your system where Quickbooks is installed.
Open a Sample company sample file:
Follow the given steps to open the company sample file:
- Begin by opening the Quickbooks application.
- Now visit the “No company Open window” option and then hit click on “Open a sample file”.
- Select the ‘Random company file”.
- Here repair your Quickbooks installation files if the same error shows on your desktop screen.
- Lastly, you may click “Next” if now the sample file opens.
Close all Quickbooks running processes:
Closing all Quickbooks running processes also may lead to troubleshooting Quickbooks error 6189. Here’s how you can do it:
- Begin by logging in as “System Administrator” on the server hosted computer.
- Open the “Task Manager” by clicking “Ctrl +Shift+Esc” all simultaneously.
- Now choose the users to be able to see all processes started by all users.
- Now choose all Quickbooks processes. Thereafter click on “End Task”.
- You may now finally open the company file in the “Multi-user mode”.
Download and install the Quickbooks Refresher tool:
Here is how you can download and install the Quickbooks Refresher tool:
- First of all download the Quickbooks Refresher tool “ from the Intuit’s official website. Thereafter save the file on your system.
- Now hit a click on the downloaded file named “qbrefresherv1.exe”.
- Click “Yes” to the User account permission.
- Now read the terms and conditions of the software and hit the “Yes” button.
- Lastly, click on “Fix my Quickbooks” once the tool gets successfully installed and hit the “OK” button.
Restart all your computer and server:
Sometimes the whole system requires a reset to function properly and eliminate any issues within it. Here’s how you can stepwise do that :
- Restart your server computer hosting your company files.
- Also restart each workstation.
- Now open the Quickbooks Desktop on your server computer.
- Lastly, open Quickbooks Desktop on each workstation and you are done through the process!
Rename the Network Data File (ND) and Transaction Log File (TLG)
Follow these Steps to rename the ND and TLG files.
- Open the company file folder of your company
- Locate the files having the same name as your company files, but are saved with extensions .ND and .TLG (as given below):
- Right-click each file, and then click Rename.
- Re-open Quickbooks and try signing in to your company file. If you still get the same error, try the next fix.
Update Quickbooks latest version:
While facing any error while working on Quickbooks it is best to update it’s latest version. Visit the Intuit’s official website to update Quickbooks’ latest version by following the on-screen instructions.
Hope the writeup helps you with fixing Quickbooks error 6189 . However for any further issue with Quickbooks it is best advised to contact the Intuit’s website and look for their professional assistance.
Keep reading this space to stay updated with the latest technology topics!